Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

My Story

(Warning, this is a detailed description of my illness that might gross some people out.)

In November of 2011, I had just quit my job, packed up my apartment and moved out of Portland, OR with the goal of traveling for a month or two within the US and then heading to India for a few months. My first stop was Lake Havasu, AZ. My boyfriend and I were lucky to be able to spend several weeks at his parents' empty vacation home. We lounged by the pool, went on motorcycle rides, explored the dessert and I continued being active. A few weeks in, I found Sara Park, an amazing trail that went through canyons, hills and ended at the lake. One day, feeling inspired, I decided to jog the trail.
I headed out on a beautiful fall day. The sun was bright but the temperature was just perfect. I am not a "natural" runner and often struggle, but this run felt smooth and wonderful. I was covered in sweat and felt like I could keep going and going. You know those moments where you feel strong, fit and healthy both inside and out? This was one of them.
Same trail, different day

Cut to 24 hours later and I felt as though I had been hit over the head with a sledge hammer. The sickness came on quick and fast, one moment I was drinking my coffee, feeling good and oblivious about what was to come. The next, my throat pain became excruciating, my tonsils swelled, a high fever kicked in, body aches, head ache, chills, nausea and the inability to swallow even my saliva. Now, I have been sick A LOT in my lifetime. I was not blessed with the strongest immune systems. I have had horrendous flus, bronchitis and strep throat but never have I felt so horrible. At the risk of sounding dramatic, there were moments when I would close my eyes and feel as though I had to stay open them quickly or I'd slip away into a coma.
Of course, I was uninsured (still am) at the time and had to maintain my savings for several months; therefore making an ER visit highly stressful. Thankfully, I remembered I was in native land and knew their had to be a tribal hospital nearby. I finally found Parker Indian Hospital about 40min south of the town. Being Native American, I can receive free health care at tribal hospitals and clinics. My boyfriend packed me in the truck and we headed out. I was seen quickly by the doctor and was immediately given a shot of penicillin. They quickly announced a positive strep test with the doctor adding it was the worst case he had ever seen. I was given another round of antibiotics and sent on my way.
Four more days of hell continued with just the slightest amount of improvement.
(TMI Alert)
However, with the end of my fever came an even sorer throat. On closer inspection, I could see that in the spot with the most pain was a swollen red boil-like blister complete with draining pus.
Back to the ER. This time, diagnosed with an abscess. Sent home with another, more intense antibiotic (also used for Malaria, yikes). Thankfully, a week went by and I started to recover and was finally pain free. I was myself again, just weaker and paler.

....To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment